Few opportunities are more exciting and enriching than studying abroad, and the English department has a number of programs specifically for you. Below are just a few possibilities; we send students all over the world!
Students can apply for study abroad scholarships through the “Purdue Moves” initiative, the College of Liberal Arts, and the English department. See our Carol and Joe Trimmer scholarship and our Sidwell memorial scholarship here.
Don’t miss out on an experience that could change the way you look at the world or even open up new career possibilities.
Semester-Long Study Abroad Programs
UNIVERSITY OF KENT
- Established in 1965, the well-regarded university sits just southeast of cosmopolitan London in the scenic and literary-historic city of Canterbury (think Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales).
- A popular tourist destination, the cathedral city of Canterbury is the seat of the worldwide Anglican church, and home to a variety of historic sites: Roman ruins, Norman castles, theaters, and, of course, the famous Canterbury Cathedral. Tired of sleepy Canterbury? London has all the sights and sounds you’d expect from a city of 9 million people!
- The University of Kent’s School of English is well known for its programs in English and American Literature, Postcolonial Literature, and Creative Writing.
- The School of English is ranked 10th in the UK according to the REF (Research Excellence Framework) for 2014, and 7th according to The Guardian’s University Guide for 2018.
DUBLIN INSTITUTE of TECHNOLOGY
- Dublin Institute of Technology is one of Ireland’s largest and most innovative institutions of higher education with an enrollment of 20,000 Irish and international students.
- Dublin, Ireland’s capital, successfully combines vibrant history with a modern city and is simply a great place to live and study; Ireland is ranked in the top ten countries in several categories of the Better Life Index.
- DIT’s Languages and English Studies program emphasizes English literature, linguistics, and composition, while also including courses in cultural studies, cinema, and teaching English as a second language. DIT’s Game Design program also provides lots of interesting classes our students can take for credit.
- Over 20% of DIT’s student population comes from outside Ireland, so you will meet and learn with people from all over the world.
- St. Andrews is Scotland’s first university and the third oldest in the English-speaking world, founded in 1413. Over six centuries, it has established a reputation as one of Europe’s leading centers for teaching and research.
- The town of St. Andrews has deep historical roots, with castles and cathedrals to explore and beaches and botanical gardens to enjoy. Learn about Scotland’s Celtic culture while experiencing the country’s beautiful scenery and wildlife.
- The university is particularly well-known for its humanities curriculum, with the departments of English literature and language, classics, religious studies, history, and philosophy offering courses of note.
- The School of English enjoys an international reputation as a center for both academic research and literary creativity, and it has recently been ranked 2nd in the Guardian University Guide and 3rd in the Complete University Guide amongst UK institutions.
UNIVERSITY of VICTORIA, WELLINGTON
- Established in 1899, Victoria is built on a tradition of teaching excellence lasting more than a century and is also one of New Zealand's leading research institutions.
- New Zealand features breathtaking landscapes, local culture, and friendly locals. Wellington, the capital, is brimming with eclectic culture and provides a perfect location to explore the rest of the country.
- Victoria University is ranked number one for overall research quality in English Literature out of all New Zealand universities. You will also be able to make use of the university’s close relationship with the National Library and Archives New Zealand.
- Fans of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit film trilogies can visit Weta Cave and Workshop where the costumes, props, and special effects were developed.
UNIVERSITY of SYDNEY
- Australia’s oldest university, the University of Sydney is recognized as one of the top universities in the country and a hub for innovative research and teaching. It is home to the largest academic library in the southern hemisphere with over five million physical items.
- Sydney has a little of everything with a bustling modern metropolis as well as an array of natural attractions such as its harbor, beaches, and famous gardens and parks.
- University of Sydney’s English department is ranked #1 in the country, and students can take courses in Australian literature or literature from all over the world.
- In addition to its outstanding research and teaching, University of Sydney has been recognized as one of the 10 most beautiful campuses in the world.
For even more possibilities around the world, contact CLA Study Abroad and International Programs (SAIP): here.
Summer Study Abroad Programs
Global Studies in London
This program offers two exciting courses that introduce the rich political, literary, historical, and cultural context of London and the English countryside. Students begin work with a week of classes at Purdue before spending three weeks in the United Kingdom, where they explore London, experience private access inside the stone circle of Stonehenge, visit Oxford, and journey to Boscastle on the beautiful Cornwall coast. Students can receive up to six total course credits towards the following: the College of Liberal Arts’ “Other Cultures” requirement, Interdisciplinary Studies requirements, and the Global Studies Minor.
For more information see https://purduelondon.weebly.com.
Postindustrial Scotland: Professional Writing Abroad
High-technology research in a variety of fields characterizes today’s Scotland: digital technology, bioinformatics, clean energy, and cutting-edge medical research. The program has been designed to bring the global challenges of post-industrial work home to students. We will discuss the international solutions envisioned in Scotland, site of modern industrial thought and source of new post-industrial thinking in renewable energy, recycling, sustainable mobility, and how these impact higher education—specifically technical writing instruction and curriculum seen in international, inter-institutional context.
For more, contact Prof. Michael Salvo <email@example.com>.
English Studies in Dublin
The English dept. offers three different programs for summer study in Ireland: “Literary Dublin,” “Celtic Myths, Celtic Tigers,” and “Postcolonial, Global Ireland.” “Literary” explores early twentieth-century Irish literature alongside many of Dublin’s literary and historical sites, while “Celtic” explores southern and central Irish myth and culture against the country’s technological renaissance. “Postcolonial” examines twenty-first-century Irish literature and its questions about the country’s place in the global economic order. For the summer of 2019, the theme is:
This 3-week 6-credit program introduces students to the flowering of modern Irish literature, including fiction, poetry, and drama. Students will read and discuss humorous, irreverent, highly political, and often profound works by writers such as James Joyce, W. B. Yeats, J. M. Synge, Sean O’Casey, Augusta Gregory, Eva Gore-Booth, Katharine Tynan, Oscar Wilde, Maeve Brennan, and Elizabeth Bowen. In addition, we will visit key Dublin literary and historical sites such as the Dublin Writers Museum, the Parnell Monument, The James Joyce Centre, Trinity College Library, and the Abbey Theater. We will have a day trip to beautiful County Wicklow and a 3 day trip to the west of Ireland, including Galway and Sligo. And finally, we will spend a few evenings at Dublin and Galway pubs listening to seisún, or traditional Irish music sessions. Students will write analytical, reflective, and/or creative papers. We will be staying on the beautiful campus of Ireland’s most distinguished university, Trinity College Dublin.
For more information see https://worldstrides.com/custom/romantic-ireland/