Language Placement Testing
The School of Languages and Cultures provides fully-online language placement testing in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Russian, and Spanish. It's available on a continuous basis 24/7/365. No advance registration is necessary. For testing in Arabic and American Sign Language, see below.
Questions? Please email email@example.com
- Students who have had 2 years or more of high school study of a language must take a placement test or complete a placement interview in order to determine their first course in a language sequence.
- Students who have had less than 2 years of high school study, or for whom it has been 5 years or more since their last language course may begin at 10100 or may sit for a placement exam. Students with advanced credit (transfer, dual credit) or who are enrolled in or have completed a course in a language may not sit for a placement exam.
- Students may only sit for a placement exam once in any language.
- Students with no previous study of a language should not sit for a placement exam and should contact their advisor for permission to enroll in 10100.
- There is a $35 rate for placement in each language for Purdue students.
- Charges appear on account through the Bursar’s Office sometime after testing
- Students who are Pell Grant eligible will receive a waiver and will not be charged.
- Purdue graduate students, faculty, and staff are exempt.
TESTING, PLACEMENT AND CREDIT
- No advance registration necessary
- Placement results provided at conclusion of the test
- Test scores are loaded to students’ academic record within one hour following testing providing prerequisites
- Earn departmental credit for courses skipped in 10100, 10200, 20100, 20200 sequence by completing your placement course with a C- or higher on WL campus.
- Departmental Credit Policy
REQUIREMENTS FOR TAKING THE TEST
- A computer, Mac or PC, with a webcam
- Fast and reliable internet connection
- Valid photo ID like Purdue ID, drivers license, or passport
- A quiet space where you can be alone
- Willingness to allow the testing system to videotape you as you take the test (The video will be erased as soon as it is reviewed.)
- If you meet these requirements, click the button below to download test instructions.
AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE
- Testing is by appointment: Contact Robin Shay firstname.lastname@example.org
- Test will be conducted in ASL and includes demonstration of basic signs and conversation.
- Results will determine placement in ASL102 or 201 (placement in ASL 202 is not an option).
- Foreign Language Placement Testing Permission Form is required; contact your advisor.
- Testing by appointment.
- Students interested in taking a placement test in Arabic should contact the Arabic Program director: Ahmed Idrissi Alami (email@example.com).
- Course information for Arabic Placement: https://www.cla.purdue.edu/academic/slc/l/arabic/