Foreign Language Placement Testing
Chinese, French, German, ITALIAN*, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish
LOCATION: Stanley Coulter Hall 231 (SC 231)
- Fall 2018. (Flyer)
Wednesday 11/7, Thursday 11/8 & Friday 11/9, 6:00pm
- Spring 2019. (Flyer)
Monday 1/7 and Tuesday 1/8, 6:00pm
Wednesday 4/3, Thursday 4/4, and Friday 4/5, 6:00pm
- Students who have had 2 years or more of high school study of a language must take a placement test or complete a placement interview in order to determine their first course in a language sequence.
- Students who have had less than 2 years of high school study, or for whom it has been 5 years or more since their last language course may begin at 10100 or may sit for a placement exam. Students with advanced credit (transfer, dual credit) or who are enrolled in or have completed a course in a language may not sit for a placement exam.
- Students may only sit for a placement exam once in any language.
- Students with no previous study of a language should not sit for a placement exam and should contact their advisor for permission to enroll in 10100.
- There is a $35 rate for placement in each language for Purdue students.
- Charges appear on account through the Bursar’s Office after testing
- Students who are Pell Grant eligible will receive a waiver and will not be charged.
- Purdue graduate students, faculty, and staff are exempt.
TESTING, PLACEMENT AND CREDIT:
- No advance registration.
- Placement results provided at conclusion of exam
- Test scores are loaded to students’ academic record following testing providing prerequisites
- Earn departmental credit for courses skipped in 101, 102, 201, 202 sequence by completing your placement course with a C- or higher on WL campus.
- Departmental Credit Policy
WHAT TO BRING:
- FLPT Permission Form (see advisor), filled out and signed by your advisor.
- Valid Purdue ID (PUID Card).
- Second form of identification with Photo ID (such as current passport or Driver's License).
- If you do not have a valid PUID card please provide Purdue documentation of your name with your Purdue ID number, please contact your academic advisor for additional information.
AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE
- Testing is by appointment: Contact Raymond Olson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Test will be conducted in ASL and includes demonstration of basic signs and conversation.
- Results will determine placement in ASL102 or 201 (placement in ASL 202 is not an option).
- Foreign Language Placement Testing Permission Form is required; contact your advisor.
Information for French Placement
Information for German Placement
Information for Italian Placement
Information for Russian
Information for Spanish
Important Information For Heritage/Native Speakers
French for Native-Heritage Speakers
Italian for Native-Heritage Speakers
Japanese for Native-Heritage Speakers
- STAR 2018 FLPT Results by Language/Level
- French Placement STAR 2018
- German Placement STAR 2018
- Italian Placement STAR 2018
- Latin Placement STAR 2018
- Japanese Placement STAR 2018
- Russian Placement STAR 2018
- Spanish Placement STAR 2018
- Heritage Spanish Placement STAR 2018
- STAR 2018 Results by College/School
- College of Agriculture STAR 2018
- College of Education Star 2018
- College of Engineering STAR 2018
- Exploratory Studies STAR 2018
- College of Health and Human Sciences STAR 2018
- College of Liberal Arts STAR 2018
- Krannert School of Management STAR 2018
- College of Pharmacy STAR 2018
- Purdue Polytechnic Institute STAR 2018
- College of Science STAR 2018
- College of Veterinary Medicine STAR 2018