Language Placement Testing
Chinese, French, German, ITALIAN*, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish
3/25/2020. PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the original placement testing dates in early April have been canceled. We are in the process of setting up many of our languages normally tested in-person in the FLPT lab for online testing, hopefully before the end of the semester. Once we have more details, we will post them here and we will notify all academic advisors. Thank you for your understanding!
- Students who have had 2 years or more of high school study of a language must take a placement test or complete a placement interview in order to determine their first course in a language sequence.
- Students who have had less than 2 years of high school study, or for whom it has been 5 years or more since their last language course may begin at 10100 or may sit for a placement exam. Students with advanced credit (transfer, dual credit) or who are enrolled in or have completed a course in a language may not sit for a placement exam.
- Students may only sit for a placement exam once in any language.
- Students with no previous study of a language should not sit for a placement exam and should contact their advisor for permission to enroll in 10100.
- There is a $35 rate for placement in each language for Purdue students.
- Charges appear on account through the Bursar’s Office after testing
- Students who are Pell Grant eligible will receive a waiver and will not be charged.
- Purdue graduate students, faculty, and staff are exempt.
TESTING, PLACEMENT AND CREDIT:
- No advance registration.
- Placement results provided at conclusion of exam
- Test scores are loaded to students’ academic record following testing providing prerequisites
- Earn departmental credit for courses skipped in 101, 102, 201, 202 sequence by completing your placement course with a C- or higher on WL campus.
- Departmental Credit Policy
WHAT TO BRING:
- FLPT Permission Form (see advisor), filled out and signed by your advisor.
- Valid Purdue ID (PUID Card).
- Second form of identification with Photo ID (such as current passport or Driver's License).
- If you do not have a valid PUID card please provide Purdue documentation of your name with your Purdue ID number, please contact your academic advisor for additional information.
AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE
- Testing is by appointment: Contact Raymond Olson email@example.com
- Test will be conducted in ASL and includes demonstration of basic signs and conversation.
- Results will determine placement in ASL102 or 201 (placement in ASL 202 is not an option).
- Foreign Language Placement Testing Permission Form is required; contact your advisor.
Information for French Placement
Information for German Placement
Information for Russian
Information for Spanish