- Professor Mariko Wei, Chief judge. School of Languages and Cultures, Purdue University
- Professor Hiroko Chiba, Professor of Japanese, Depauw University
- Mr. Brian Malachowski, Group Leader, Trim & Final Manufacturing Engineering, Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc.
- Mr. Takahiko Ogata, Lt. Governor of Kiwanis Indiana
- Mr. Thomas Ishikawa, Purdue alumnus, Former President of Japan Student Association
A panel of judges will assess each speech or skit in three categories: Language Use, Content and Delivery. For the contestants, Q&A will be assessed after their speech. An example of what judges will be looking for:
2. Content: Originality, creativity, appropriateness, depth of subject understanding.
3. Delivery: Pronunciation, clarity, organization, flow, memorization, poise, enthusiasm.
4. Q&A (Only for Speech): Understanding of question, fluency, improvisation and elaboration in answer.