CAPITOL CAREERS MENTORSHIP
MEETING DATES & TOPICS
CCSE Student Community
The CCSE Student Community facilitates non-partisan conversation about various topics within Political Communication and career advice through appearances with special guests, which include journalists, politicians, and other professionals in the Political Communication area.
Capitol Careers Mentorship Program
The Capitol Careers Mentorship Program creates opportunities for Purdue University alumni in the Washington, D.C. region and members of the CCSE Student Community to develop professional relationships that can help students find internships, learn about career paths, get professional advice, and prepare for a successful career in our nation’s capital after graduation.
This 2-semester-long mentorship program is designed to be flexible yet impactful for both alumni and students who will meet at least once per month via virtual format at a day and time that fits both schedules.
Students will submit a monthly reflection and participate in networking/career events and professional development programming throughout the year.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
The CCSE Student Community is for Purdue students interested current events, political communication, history, journalism, and politics. Our diverse community includes members from all majors across campus.
- Executive Chair
- Guest Relations Chair
- Public Relations Chair
- Chair of Ambassadors
- Special Events Chair
2023-24: Jack Barden
The Special Events Committee is comprised of students interested in history, current events, and discussing politics. The Special Events committee helps prepare for our ‘This Day in History’ meetings or ‘What’s Going On Today?’ meetings. This committee will reinforce and teach skills revolving around Microsoft Powerpoint, effective communication, and education skills.
2023-24: Matt Stachler
The Guest Relations Committee is responsible for networking with guests and scheduling them to attend CCSE Student Community meetings. This committee will reinforce professionalism, writing skills, and effective communication skills.
2023-24: Paola Godina-Salas
The Social Media Committee is responsible for creating engaging posts on all of our social media platforms. This committee works with Canva editing software, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
2023-24: Mackenzie Mykleby
The Ambassadors are student community members that are selected by leadership to represent the CCSE and CCSE Student Community in public events and classroom visits. Ambassadors are trained by the Ambassador Chair, Executive Chair, and the staff at the CCSE to be professional, responsible, and informed CCSE representatives.
Meetings and Dates
The CCSE Student Community meets in Young Hall room 454 from 6:30 to 7:30 each Tuesday.
Meetings alternate between “This Day in History” conversations and guest speakers. On “This Day in History,” students discuss complicated topics with an eye toward political history as illustrated by archival C-SPAN footage.
- Amy Hess -Executive Advisor, former FBI agent
- Andie Slomka, Staff Analyst at NewsGuard
- Ben O’Connel – C-SPAN, Managing Editor
- Betty Tonsing, Ph.D.
- Brian Lamb, Founder of C-SPAN
- Chevelle Tallman, Production Assistant at C-SPAN
- Congressman Frank Mrvan
- Dan Glickman, former Secretary of Agriculture
- Daniel Ferrell, CCSE Student Community and Purdue Alumnus, Admissions Counselor, University of Indianapolis
- Emily Johnson, Summer Associate at Baker McKenzie
- Gerald F. Seib, Author and Executive Washington Editor, The Wall Street Journal
- Harold Holzer, Director at the Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute
- Jane King- Co-founder and CEO of LilaMax Media
- Kelly O’Keefe, Purdue Alumna, Communications Director, Congressman Raul Ruiz
- Mike Piggott- Director of Community Relations (former), Purdue University
- Former Purdue President Mitch Daniels
- Ray LaHood, former Secretary of Transportation
- Scott Keller- Founding Partner, Lehotsky Keller LLP
- Steve Kornacki, National Political Correspondent, NBC News
- Steve Scully- Senior Executive Producer and Political Editor