Skip to main content

Employment of International Faculty and Staff

If a department wishes to employ an international applicant in a faculty or administrative/ professional line, there are strict guidelines established by the U.S. government that must be followed.  A tenure-track position may only be offered if he or she is a naturalized citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or is holding an H-1B visa.  If the individual does not meet the above stated criteria, a visiting faculty position must be offered until the individual obtains an H-1B visa.  After that is done, the position may be converted into a tenure-track line, providing that all appropriate guidelines for tenure-track hires have been followed.  The Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) is Purdue’s official link with the U.S. Immigration & Naturalization Services.  If you are contemplating the hire of an international faculty or staff member on an H-1B visa, contact Jennifer Linvill in the Office of International Students and Scholars as soon as the decision to hire is made and prior to the extension of any formal offer.  She will assist you in the proper wording of offer letters and will assist the individual in obtaining the proper documentation to change his or her visa status.

All new employees at Purdue, regardless of citizenship, must provide proof of citizenship and identification at the time of employment.  Offer letters that are written to new employees should inform them of the necessity of producing required documentation when they report to work.